Monday, 5 May 2014

Artist Feature: The Wonderful work of Jane Hayden


I came across Jane's lovely work on Etsy. The Dublin based artist creates screen printed handmade artisan products including notebooks, cards, bags, scarves, teatowels and cushions.

1. How did your business come about (and when did you start)?

I started my business over 10 years ago, and began as a freelance textile designer. I also made and sold hand made screen printed products in Cows Lane Market, when it started up. After a year I had the opportunity to have a clothing concession in Topshop, and quickly realised I could not keep up the design work and went into solely producing a line of clothing. Over time, the printing peetered out as it was too expensive. And after a couple of years I hit a wall and finally came to the realisation that I could not grow my business at the price point I was currently offering, without outscourcing to Asia or similar. And I could no longer work the hours I was working even though I had hired staff. Finally, I came to the decision to close up that business and get back into designing patterns which was why I started off in the fist place. So I am currently back freelancing as a surface pattern designer, selling my products on Etsy and wholesaling to some shops around Ireland.



2. Can you give a quick insight into your working method? (ideas,techniques, etc.)

It depends on the day, some days I am making etsy orders, screen printing, sewing, packing. Other days I am drawing and doodling, before getting to work on the computer. And other days I try and use some different techniques like guache or collage, which may turn into designs at some point. 



3. What has been the hardest single obstacle to your life in design (apart from a shortage of time, which seems to be universal amongst creatives!)?

My experience with Topshop, I felt like Sisyphus, rolling a giant boulder up the top of a hill but never getting to the top! But it was a valuable life lesson and taught me a lot at a young age. And for that, I am grateful.



4. How do you stay motivated? What inspires you?

It sounds cheesy, but nature really, especially this time of year (and pinterest!)



5. What has been the icing on the cake for you as an artist/designer?

Seeing my clothes in the front window of Topshop at the top of Grafton Street!



6. Who do you admire (other artists/designers; other people generally) and what/who are your biggest influences, past or present?

Really I admire anyone who is out there running a business themselves!

I just love any kind of botanical drawings.


7. Describe your creative space

Very messy at the moment ;)


8. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given?

I think, no matter what advice you get, the challenge is to look inside yourself and ask, "is this right for me?" So probably learning to listen to yourself is the best advice I have ever gotten.


You can buy Jane's work from her etsy store

(all above images are © Jane Hayden)